A community or community infrastructure is the grouping of hardware units and software program elements wanted to attach units inside a corporation and to attach the group to different organizations and the Web. The community infrastructure’s bodily hardware and logical elements are wanted to offer a lot of options for the community, together with connectivity, routing and switching capabilities, community safety, and entry management. The community or community infrastructure has to exist earlier than various servers wanted to help purposes that customers want may be deployed right into a networking surroundings.
Subsequently, when planning a community design and deciding on the computer systems for the community, the features the pc might be performing have to be recognized. Understanding these features will put the community designer in a great place to find out the hardware and software program elements the computer systems want.
Home windows Server 2003 itself supplies numerous options and instruments when put in on a pc. Further options and features need to be carried out on a server to offer the providers and capabilities that the group and its customers require. In reality, till these further options and features make sure providers out there, the pc can’t be used as customers require.
Computer systems required on a community could be broadly grouped in accordance with the next roles:
- Server roles – servers might be configured to carry out quite a lot of roles. The purposes that the server is operating specify the actual server’s position. Servers sometimes want providers and extra options put in to carry out its particular position. When in comparison with workstations, servers have extra disk area and reminiscence and quicker processors. The server’s position determines the hardware that servers require. A couple of widespread server roles are listed under:
- Area controller
- Database server
- Backup server
- File server
- Print server
- Infrastructure server
- Net server
- E-mail server
- Desktop workstation roles – desktop workstations differ from servers in that desktop workstations are common function computer systems that may carry out quite a lot of features.
- Moveable workstation roles – moveable workstations are the answer to bringing a desktop pc’s options to an off-site worker.
Home windows Server 2003 launched the idea of server roles. Server roles principally group associated administrative duties and supply a selected functionality or perform for the community design. With Home windows Server 2003, if a server is configured for a sure server position, then numerous further providers, options, and instruments are put in for the server. On this method, the server is about as much as present customers with the required providers.
Home windows Server 2003 offers a brand new software for outlining and managing server roles, specifically, the Handle Your Server utility. The precise Wizard for making use of the server roles to computer systems is the Configure Your Server Wizard. The Configure Your Server Wizard is included inside the Handle Your Server utility and can also be managed by way of this utility.
For Home windows Server 2003, there are 11 totally different server roles that may be configured with the Configure Your Server Wizard:
- File server
- Print server
- Software server
- Mail server
- Terminal server
- Distant entry server/VPN server
- Area controllers
- DNS server
- WINS server
- DHCP server
- Streaming media server
- 1 Understanding the File Server Position
- 2 Understanding the Print Server Position
- 3 Understanding Net Servers
- 4 Understanding the Mail Server Position
- 5 Understanding the Terminal Server Position
- 6 Understanding the Distant Entry and VPN Server Position
- 7 Understanding the Area Controller’s Position
- 8 Understanding the DNS Server Position
- 9 Understanding the WINS Server Position
- 10 Understanding the DHCP Server Position
- 11 Understanding the Streaming Media Server Position
- 12 Understanding Certificates Authorities (CAs) Servers
- 13 Understanding the Configure Your Server Wizard
- 13.1 Find out how to Add an Software Server Position to Home windows Server 2003
- 13.2 The right way to Set up the Distant Entry and VPN Server Position with the Configure Your Server Wizard
- 13.3 Methods to Add the International Catalog Server Position on a Area Controller
- 13.4 The right way to Take away the International Catalog Server Position from a Area Controller
- 13.5 How you can Set up the DHCP Server Position
- 13.6 The best way to Implement a Caching-only DNS Server
- 13.7 Tips on how to Add the Terminal Providers Server Position to Home windows Server 2003 with Add Or Take away Packages in Management Panel
- 13.8 The way to Set up IIS 6.zero with the Configure Your Server Wizard
Understanding the File Server Position
The file server position is a extensively used position when configuring servers in Home windows Server 2003 based mostly networks. That is because of the file server position storing knowledge for community customers and offering entry to information saved on the file server. The file server position is just not out there within the Home windows Server 2003 Net Version. Customers which have the required rights to entry the directories during which the information are saved can entry a file saved on a file server quantity.
File servers present the next features:
- Allow customers to retailer information in a centralized location.
- Allow a consumer to share information with one other consumer.
A couple of file server position traits and options are:
- Information and folder assets might be shared between community customers.
- Directors can handle the next file server features:
- Entry to information and folders
- Disk area
- Disk quotas may be carried out to regulate the quantity of area that customers can make the most of.
- For file servers which have NTFS volumes:
- NTFS safety can be utilized to guard information from customers who aren’t approved to entry the information and folders.
- Encrypting File System (EFS) allows customers to encrypt information, folders, and full knowledge drives on NTFS formatted volumes. EFS secures confidential company knowledge from unauthorized entry.
- Distributed File System (DFS) supplies a single hierarchical file system that assists with organizing shared folders on a number of computer systems within the community. DFS supplies a single logical file system construction by concealing the underlying file share construction inside a digital folder construction. Customers solely see a single file construction regardless that there are a number of folders on totally different file servers inside the group.
- The Offline information function could be enabled if vital. Offline Information make it potential for a consumer to reflect server information to an area laptop computer and ensures that the laptop computer information and server information are in sync. Offline Information make sure that laptop computer customers can entry the server based mostly information when they don’t seem to be related to the community.
Understanding the Print Server Position
The print server position supplies community printing capabilities for the community. Via the print server position, a server may be configured to handle printing features on the community. Customers sometimes hook up with a community printer by way of a connection to a print server. The print server is the pc the place the print drivers are situated that handle printing between printers and shopper computer systems. The print servers provide shoppers with the required printer drivers via Home windows NT, Home windows 2000, Home windows XP, and Home windows Server 2003. The print servers additionally handle communication between the printers and the shopper computer systems. The print servers handle the print queues and may also provide audit logs on jobs that customers printed. A community interface printer is a printer that connects to the community by means of a community card. The print server position shouldn’t be obtainable within the Home windows Server 2003 Net Version.
When deciding on a print server, be sure that the print server has enough disk area to retailer print jobs ready within the printer queue. It is strongly recommended that a devoted, quick drive is used for the print spooler. Customers ought to contemplate implementing a print server cluster if their enterprise wants distinctive reliability and efficiency in terms of printing.
A couple of print server traits are:
- The Home windows Administration Instrumentation (WMI) – a administration software program interface (API) can be utilized to handle printing on the community.
- Print servers may also be remotely managed.
- Directors can management when printing units might be utilized.
- Directors can management entry to printers.
- Priorities may be outlined for print jobs.
- Print jobs might be paused, resumed, and deleted and seen.
- Printers might be revealed in Lively Listing in order that entry to printers could be managed in response to Lively Listing accounts.
Understanding Net Servers
The appliance server position makes net purposes and distributed purposes out there to customers. An internet server sometimes accommodates a replica of a World Large Website and can even host net based mostly purposes. When a Net server is put in, customers can make the most of Net based mostly purposes and obtain information.
When an internet server is added by way of the appliance server position, the next elements are put in:
- Web Info Providers 6.zero
- The Software Server console
- The Distributed Transaction Coordinator (DTC)
- COM+, the extension of the Element Object Mannequin (COM)
Web Info Providers 6.zero (IIS 6.zero) is Microsoft’s built-in net server that permits customers to create and handle web sites inside a corporation. Via IIS, customers can create and handle web sites and share and distribute info over the Web or intranet. With the introduction of Home windows Server 2003 got here the arrival of Web Info Providers (IIS) 6. IIS 6 is included with the 32-bit model and the 64-bit variations of the Home windows Server 2003 Editions. IIS 6 embrace help for a variety of protocols and administration instruments that allow customers to configure the server as a Net server, File Switch Protocol (FTP) server, or Easy Mail Transport Protocol (SMTP) server. The administration instruments included with Home windows Server 2003 permits customers to handle Web Info Providers on the Home windows Server 2003 product platforms.
Earlier than IIS 6 Net servers could be deployed inside an enterprise, the consumer should first set up Home windows Server 2003 or improve to Home windows Server 2003. After Home windows Server 2003 is put in, for all editions of Home windows Server 2003 aside from the Net Version, IIS 6 may be put in from the Configure Your Server Wizard. When customers first go browsing after Home windows Server 2003 is put in, the Handle Your Server Wizard is initiated. To start out the Configure Your Server Wizard, select the Add Or Take away A Position hyperlink then comply with the Configure Your Server Wizard prompts to put in the Software Server (IIS, ASP.NET) choice.
The protocols that IIS 6.zero helps, the Microsoft built-in Net server, are listed right here:
- Hypertext Switch Protocol (HTTP) is a TCP/IP software layer protocol used to hook up with web sites and create net content material. HTTP handles the publishing of static and dynamic Net content material. An HTTP session consists of a connection, an HTTP request, and an HTTP response.
- Port 80 is used for HTTP connections. The shopper establishes a TCP connection to the server with a TCP three approach handshake.
- After the connection is established, the shopper sends an HTTP GET request message to the server.
- The server sends the shopper the requested net web page.
- HTTP Hold-Alives maintains the TCP connection between the shopper and server, whether it is enabled, in order that the shopper can request further pages.
- If HTTP Hold-Alives isn’t enabled, the TCP connection is terminated after the requested web page is downloaded.
- File Switch Protocol (FTP) is a TCP/IP software layer protocol used to repeat information to and from distant techniques by way of the Transmission Management Protocol (TCP). FTP makes it potential for shoppers to add and obtain information from an FTP server over an internetwork. Customers can create and administer FTP servers via IIS. An FTP server and FTP shopper are wanted to make use of the protocol. An FTP session has a connection, a request, and a response.
- The shopper establishes a TCP connection to the FTP server by means of port 21.
- A port quantity over 1023 is assigned to the shopper.
- The shopper sends an FTP command to port 21.
- If the shopper must obtain knowledge, one other connection is created with the shopper to convey the info. This connection makes use of port 20.
- The second connection stays in a TIME_WAIT state after the info is transferred to the shopper. The TIME_WAIT state makes it potential for extra knowledge to be transferred. The TIME_WAIT state ends when the connection occasions out.
- Community Information Switch Protocol (NNTP) is a TCP/IP software layer protocol used to ship community information messages to NNTP servers and NNTP shoppers on the Web. NNTP is a shopper/server and server/server protocol. The NNTP protocol allows an NNTP host to duplicate its record of newsgroups and messages with one other host by means of newsfeeds with a push or pull technique. An NNTP shopper can set up a reference to an NNTP host to obtain an inventory of newsgroups and skim the messages contained within the newsgroups. By means of NNTP, customers can implement personal information servers to host dialogue teams or implement public information servers to offer buyer help and assist assets to Web customers. It may be specified that customers have to be authenticated to learn and submit gadgets to newsgroups or they are often allowed entry to everyone. The NNTP service may also combine with the Home windows Indexing Service to index newsgroup content material. Additionally it is absolutely built-in with occasion and efficiency monitoring of Home windows Server 2003.
- Easy Mail Switch Protocol (SMTP) is a TCP/IP software layer protocol that routes and transfers e-mail between SMTP hosts on the Web. SMTP allows IIS machines to function as SMTP hosts to ahead e-mail over the Web. IIS could be utilized as an alternative of Sendmail. SMTP additionally allows IIS machines to guard mail servers similar to Microsoft Change servers from malicious assaults by working between these servers and Sendmail host on the group’s ISP. SMTP can be utilized to ahead mail from one SMTP host to a different. SMTP can’t ship mail on to the shopper. Mail shoppers use POP3 or IMAP to obtain e-mail. Home windows Server 2003 consists of the POP3 service for offering shoppers with mailboxes and for dealing with incoming e-mail. To make use of the SMTP as an IIS element, the SMTP service needs to be put in first if a Home windows Server 2003 Version aside from the Home windows Server 2003 Net Version is being run. The SMTP service is put in on the Home windows Server 2003 Net Version by default.
Understanding the Mail Server Position
The mail server position supplies e-mail providers for the community by offering the features wanted for customers to each ship and obtain e-mail messages. A mail server has to exist for customers to ship e-mail to one another. When a mail server receives e-mail for a consumer, it shops the e-mail for the meant consumer till that specific consumer retrieves it from the mail server.
A mail server’s main features are to:
- Retailer e-mail knowledge
- Course of shopper requests
- Obtain incoming e-mail from the Web
When a server for the mail server position is configured, the next TCP/IP based mostly protocols are put in:
- Easy Mail Switch Protocol (SMTP) – is a TCP/IP software layer protocol used for routing and transferring e-mail between SMTP hosts on the Web. IIS 6 needs to be put in to put in each the SMTP service and the Submit Workplace Protocol three (POP3) service. The SMTP service needs to be put in as a result of mail servers and shoppers make the most of this service to ship e-mail.
- Submit Workplace Protocol three (POP3) – mail shoppers use the POP3 service or IMAP to obtain e-mail. Home windows Server 2003 consists of the POP3 service for offering shoppers with mailboxes and for dealing with incoming e-mail. The POP3 service additionally allows shoppers to retrieve e-mail from the mail server.
Understanding the Terminal Server Position
Terminal Providers have the power to function as an software server that distant shoppers can hook up with and run periods from. The Terminal Providers server runs the purposes. The info response is transmitted again to the Terminal Providers shopper. Shoppers can entry Terminal Providers over an area space connection or a large space connection. Terminal Providers shoppers could be MS-DOS based mostly shoppers, Home windows for Workgroups shoppers, (model three.11), Home windows based mostly terminals, and Macintosh shoppers.
When a consumer connects to a Home windows Server 2003 server utilizing Distant Desktop, the server’s, not the workstation’s assets are used. The terminal is simply answerable for the keyboard, mouse, and show. Each consumer has its personal particular person Terminal Providers session. Periods are distinctive and don’t have an effect on each other. On this method, a consumer connecting to a Home windows Server 2003 server via Distant Desktop features as a terminal on that server.
As soon as a shopper connects with Terminal Providers, it creates a Terminal Providers session for the shopper. The Terminal Providers server handles all processing. Shoppers use insignificant bandwidth on the underlying community once they set up a connection. Terminal Providers is subsequently widespread in WANs the place bandwidth is restricted. It’s also fitted to cellular customers who should execute processor intensive purposes over a dial-up connection. On this case, the native machine solely must deal with the console. When purposes must be put in or up to date, a single occasion of the appliance may be put in or up to date on the Terminal Providers server. Customers could have entry to the appliance with out it having to be put in or up to date on all machines.
Distant Desktop Protocol (RDP) is the protocol that manages communications between a pc operating Terminal Providers and a shopper pc operating a Terminal Server shopper. The connection could be established with Terminal Providers on a terminal server. The RDC utility can be utilized for full terminal server shopper utilization or it may be used for Distant Administration. Distant Desktop Connection is by default put in with Home windows XP and Home windows Server 2003. Nevertheless, Distant Desktop Connection could be put in on the earlier Home windows Working Techniques (OSs) resembling Home windows 2000, Home windows NT, Home windows ME, Home windows 98, and Home windows 95. The RDC utility is backward suitable and may subsequently work together with Terminal Providers in Home windows XP, Home windows 2000, and Home windows NT four Terminal Server Version.
Understanding the Distant Entry and VPN Server Position
The Home windows Server 2003 distant entry and VPN server position can be utilized to offer distant entry to shoppers by means of both of those strategies:
- Dial-up connections – Dial-up networking makes it potential for a distant entry shopper to determine a dial-up connection to a port on a distant entry server. The configuration of the dial-up networking server determines what assets the distant consumer can entry. Customers that join via a dial-up networking server hook up with the community very similar to an ordinary LAN consumer accessing community assets.
- Digital personal networks (VPNs) – Digital Personal Networks (VPNs) present safe and superior connections via a non-secure community by offering knowledge privateness. Personal knowledge is safe in a public surroundings. Distant entry VPNs present a standard setting the place many various sources akin to intermediaries, shoppers, and off-site staff can entry by way of net browsers or e mail. Many corporations provide their very own VPN connections by way of the Web. Via their ISPs, distant customers operating VPN shopper software program are assured personal entry in a publicly shared surroundings. Through the use of analog, ISDN, DSL, cable know-how, dial, and cellular IP, VPNs are carried out over in depth shared infrastructures. E mail, database, and workplace purposes use these safe distant VPN connections.
A number of options and capabilities that the RRAS server present are:
- LAN-to-LAN routing and LAN-to-WAN routing
- Digital personal community (VPN) routing
- Community Tackle Translation (NAT) routing – NAT, outlined in RFC 1631, interprets personal addresses to Web IP addresses that may be routed on the Web
- Routing options, together with
- IP multicasting
- Packet filtering
- Demand-dial routing
- DHCP relay
- Assign DHCP addresses to RRAS shoppers
- Distant Entry Insurance policies (RAPs) – RAPs are used to grant distant entry permissions.
- Layer Two Tunneling Protocol (L2TP) combines Layer 2 Forwarding (L2F) of Cisco with Level-to-Level Tunneling Protocol (PPTP) of Microsoft. L2TP is a Knowledge-link protocol that can be utilized to determine Digital Personal Networks (VPNs).
- Web Authentication Service (IAS) – a Distant Authentication Dial-In Consumer Service (RADIUS) server that gives distant authentication, authorization, and accounting for customers which might be connecting to the community by way of a community entry server (NAS) akin to Home windows Routing and Distant Entry.
Understanding the Area Controller’s Position
A website controller is a server that shops a write copy of Lively Listing and maintains the Lively Listing knowledge retailer. Lively Listing was designed to offer a centralized repository of data or knowledge retailer that would securely handle a corporation’s assets. The Lively Listing listing providers make sure that community assets can be found and that customers can entry stated community assets, purposes, and packages. Lively Listing additionally makes it attainable for directors to go online to a community pc and handle Lively Listing objects on a special pc inside the area.
A website controller is a pc operating Home windows 2000 or Home windows Server 2003 that accommodates a reproduction of the area listing. Area controllers in Lively Listing keep the Lively Listing knowledge retailer and the area’s safety coverage. Subsequently, area controllers additionally present safety for the area by authenticating consumer logon makes an attempt.
The area controller position’s important features inside Lively Listing are:
- Every area controller in a website shops and maintains a reproduction of the Lively Listing knowledge retailer for the actual area.
- Area controllers in Lively Listing make the most of multimaster replication. What this implies is that no single area controller is the grasp area controller. All area controllers are thought-about friends.
- Area controllers additionally routinely replicate listing info for objects saved within the area between each other.
- Updates which might be thought-about necessary are replicated instantly to the rest of the area controllers inside the area.
- Implementing a number of area controllers inside the area offers fault tolerance for the area.
- In Lively Listing, area controllers can detect collisions. Collisions happen when an attribute modified on one specific area is modified on a special area controller previous to the change on the preliminary area controller being absolutely propagated.
Sure grasp roles may be assigned to area controllers inside a website and forest. Area controllers which might be assigned particular grasp roles are referred to as Operations Masters. These area controllers host a grasp copy of particular knowledge in Lively Listing. Additionally they copy knowledge to the rest of the area controllers. There are 5 several types of grasp roles that may be outlined for area controllers. Two forms of grasp roles, forest-wide grasp roles, are assigned to at least one area controller in a forest. The opposite three grasp roles, domain-wide grasp roles, are utilized to a website controller in each area.
The several types of grasp roles that may be configured on area controllers are:
- The Schema Grasp is a forest-wide grasp position utilized to a website controller that manages all modifications within the Lively Listing schema.
- The Area Naming Grasp is a forest-wide grasp position utilized to a website controller that manages modifications to the forest, resembling including and eradicating a website. The area controller serving this position additionally manages modifications to the area namespace.
- The Relative ID (RID) Grasp is a domain-wide grasp position utilized to a website controller that creates distinctive ID numbers for area controllers and manages the allocation of those numbers.
- The PDC Emulator is a domain-wide grasp position utilized to a website controller that operates like a Home windows NT main area controller. This position is usually needed when there are computer systems in an setting operating pre-Home windows 2000 and XP working methods.
- The Infrastructure Grasp is a domain-wide grasp position utilized to a website controller that manages modifications made to group memberships.
A International Catalog (GC) server(s) can be put in on a website controller. The worldwide catalog is a central info retailer on the Lively Listing objects in a forest and area and is used to enhance efficiency when looking for objects in Lively Listing. The primary area controller put in in a website is designated as the worldwide catalog server by default. The worldwide catalog server shops a full duplicate of all objects in its host area and a partial duplicate of objects for the rest of the domains within the forest. The partial duplicate incorporates these objects which are ceaselessly looked for. It’s usually really helpful to configure a worldwide catalog server for every website in a website.
The worldwide catalog server’s features are summarized under:
- International catalog servers are essential for Lively Listing’s UPN perform as a result of they resolve consumer principal names (UPNs) when the area controller dealing with the authentication request is unable to authenticate the consumer account as a result of the consumer account truly exists in one other area. Right here, the GC server assists in finding the consumer account in order that the authenticating area controller can proceed with the logon request for the consumer.
- The worldwide catalog server offers with all search requests for customers looking for info in Lively Listing. It will probably discover all Lively Listing knowledge regardless of the area by which the info is held. The GC server offers with requests for the complete forest.
- The worldwide catalog server additionally makes it attainable for customers to offer Common Group membership info to the area controller for community logon requests.
Understanding the DNS Server Position
Area Identify Service (DNS) is a hierarchically distributed database that creates hierarchical names that may be resolved to IP addresses. The IP addresses are then resolved to MAC addresses. DNS offers the means for naming IP hosts and for finding IP hosts when they’re queried for by identify.
The DNS server position resolves IP addresses to domains and area identify to IP addresses. On this method, DNS offers identify decision providers to determine connections for these shoppers that have to resolve to IP addresses. A Absolutely Certified Area Identify (FQDN) is the DNS identify that’s used to determine a pc on the community.
A DNS server is a pc operating the DNS service or BIND that gives area identify providers. The DNS server manages the DNS database that’s situated on it. The knowledge within the DNS server’s DNS database pertains to a portion of the DNS area tree construction or namespace. This info supplies responses to shopper requests for identify decision. A DNS server is authoritative for the contiguous portion of the DNS namespace over which it resides.
When a DNS server is queried for identify decision providers, it may well do one of many following:
- Reply to the request immediately by offering the requested info.
- Present a pointer (referral) to a different DNS server that may help in resolving the question.
- Reply that the knowledge is unavailable.
- Reply that the knowledge doesn’t exist.
Totally different server roles may be configured for DNS servers. The server position configured for a DNS server impacts the server’s following operations:
- The best way by which the DNS server shops DNS knowledge.
- The best way through which the DNS server maintains knowledge.
- Whether or not the DNS knowledge within the database file could be immediately edited.
The totally different DNS server roles that may be configured are:
- Commonplace Main DNS server – This DNS server owns the zones outlined in its DNS database and may make modifications to its zones. A normal main DNS server obtains zone knowledge from the native DNS database. The first DNS server is authoritative for the zone knowledge that it accommodates. When a change must be made to the zone’s useful resource data, it needs to be achieved on the first DNS server so that’s might be included within the native zone database. A DNS main server is created when a brand new main zone is added.
- Normal Secondary DNS server – This DNS server obtains a read-only copy of zones via DNS zone transfers. A secondary DNS server can’t make any modifications to the knowledge contained in its read-only copy. A secondary DNS server can nevertheless resolve queries for identify decision. Secondary DNS servers are often carried out to offer fault tolerance, present quick entry for shoppers in distant places, and distribute the DNS server processing load evenly. If a secondary DNS server is carried out, that DNS server can proceed to deal with queries when the first DNS turns into unavailable. Secondary DNS servers additionally help in decreasing the first DNS server’s processing load. It is strongly recommended to put in at the very least one main DNS server and one secondary DNS server for every DNS zone.
- Caching-only DNS server – A caching-only DNS server solely performs queries after which shops these queries’ outcomes. Subsequently, all info saved on the caching-only DNS server is just the info that was cached whereas the server carried out queries. Caching-only DNS servers solely cache info when the queries have been resolved. The knowledge that caching-only DNS servers retailer is the identify decision knowledge that it has collected via identify decision queries. Caching-only DNS servers don’t host zones and are usually not authoritative for any DNS area.
- Grasp DNS servers – The DNS servers from which secondary DNS servers acquire zone info within the DNS hierarchy are referred to as grasp DNS servers. When a secondary DNS server is configured, the consumer has to specify the grasp server from whom it is going to acquire zone info. Zone switch allows a secondary DNS server to acquire zone info from its configured main DNS server. A secondary DNS server can even switch its zone knowledge to different secondary DNS servers who’re beneath it within the DNS hierarchy. Right here, the secondary DNS server is considered the grasp server to the opposite subordinate secondary DNS servers. A secondary DNS server initiates the zone switch course of from its specific grasp server when it’s introduced on-line.
- Dynamic DNS Servers – Home windows 2000, Home windows XP, and Home windows Server 2003 computer systems can dynamically replace a DNS server’s useful resource data when a shopper’s IP addressing info is added or renewed by means of Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP). Each DHCP and Dynamic DNS (DDNS) updates make this potential. When dynamic DNS updates are enabled, a shopper sends a message to the DNS server when modifications are made to its IP addressing knowledge. This means to the DNS server that the shopper’s A kind useful resource report must be up to date.
Understanding the WINS Server Position
The Home windows Web Identify Service (WINS) server roles present identify decision providers for shoppers that have to resolve IP addresses to NetBIOS names and vice versa. A WINS server is an enhanced NetBIOS identify server (NBNS) that Microsoft designed to resolve NetBIOS pc names to IP addresses. WINS can resolve NetBIOS names for native hosts and distant hosts. WINS registers NetBIOS pc names and shops these shopper identify registrations within the WINS database. The registrations are used when shoppers question for host identify decision and repair info and to resolve a NetBIOS identify to an IP handle. Shoppers which might be configured to make the most of a WINS server as a NetBIOS identify server (NBNS) are referred to as WINS enabled shoppers. If the WINS server resolves the NetBIOS identify to an IP tackle, no broadcast visitors is shipped over the community. Broadcasts are solely utilized if the WINS server is unable to resolve the NetBIOS identify. A WINS enabled shopper can talk with a WINS server that’s situated anyplace on the internetwork.
Since Home windows 2000 was the primary Home windows working system the place NetBIOS naming was not required, customers may nonetheless want to offer help for NetBIOS naming if they’ve conventional purposes. Keep in mind that all Home windows working techniques previous to Home windows 2000 require NetBIOS identify help.
To implement WINS, just one WINS server is required for an internetwork. Nevertheless, implementing two WINS servers offers fault tolerance for identify decision. The secondary WINS server can be used for identify decision if the first WINS server is unavailable to service WINS shoppers’ requests.
A WINS server can deal with 1,500 identify registrations and roughly four,500 identify queries per minute. It is suggested to have one WINS server and a backup server for every 10,000 WINS shoppers. When the WINS server position is configured, the WINS server have to be statically assigned with the next TCP/IP parameters: static IP tackle, subnet masks, and default gateway.
Understanding the DHCP Server Position
DHCP is a service and protocol that runs on a Home windows Server 2003 working system. DHCP features on the TCP/IP protocol stack’s software layer. One of many main duties of the protocol is to mechanically assign IP addresses to DHCP shoppers.
A server operating the DHCP service known as a DHCP server. The DHCP protocol automates TCP/IP shoppers’ configuration as a result of IP addressing happens via the system. Customers can configure a server as a DHCP server in order that the DHCP server can mechanically assign IP addresses to DHCP shoppers with out guide intervention. IP addresses which might be assigned by means of a DHCP server are considered dynamically assigned IP addresses.
The DHCP server assigns IP addresses from a predetermined IP handle vary(s) referred to as a scope. A DHCP scope might be outlined as a set of IP addresses that the DHCP server can allocate or assign to DHCP shoppers. A scope incorporates particular configuration info for shoppers which have IP addresses which are inside the specific scope. Scope info for every DHCP server is restricted to that specific DHCP server solely and isn’t shared between DHCP servers. Directors configure scopes for DHCP servers.
The DHCP server’s features are to:
- Dynamically assign IP addresses to DHCP shoppers.
- Allocate the next TCP/IP configuration info to DHCP shoppers:
- Subnet masks info
- Default gateway IP addresses
- Area Identify System (DNS) IP addresses
- Home windows Web Naming Service (WINS) IP addresses
Customers can improve the supply of DHCP servers through the use of the 80/20 Rule if they’ve two DHCP servers on totally different subnets. The 80/20 Rule is utilized as follows:
- Allocate 80% of the IP addresses to the DHCP server on the native subnet.
- Allocate 20% of the IP addresses to the DHCP Server on the distant subnet.
If the DHCP server that’s allotted with 80% of the IP addresses has a failure, the distant DHCP server would resume assigning the DHCP shoppers with IP addresses.
With Home windows Server 2003 DHCP, three choices can be found for registering IP addresses in DNS. The choices could be configured for the DHCP server or for every scope. The choices that may be specified to allow/disable the DHCP service to dynamically replace DNS data on the shopper’s behalf are:
- The DHCP server might be configured to not register any DHCP shopper’s IP tackle when it assigns IP addresses to those shoppers.
- The DHCP server may be configured to register all shoppers’ IP tackle each time they obtain IP addresses from the DHCP server.
- The default choice leads to the DHCP server registering the IP addresses of shoppers with the authoritative DNS server based mostly on the shopper’s request for an IP handle.
Understanding the Streaming Media Server Position
The streaming media position supplies media providers in order that shoppers can entry streaming audio and video. The Home windows Media Providers present media providers to shoppers. The Home windows Media Providers could be configured on server and enterprise platforms.
The Home windows Media Providers are usually not obtainable within the following Home windows Server 2003 version:
- Home windows Server 2003 Net Version
- Home windows Server 2003 64-bit variations.
Understanding Certificates Authorities (CAs) Servers
A Certificates Authority is an entity that generates and validates digital certificates. The CA provides its personal signature to the shopper’s public key. Through the use of the instruments that Microsoft present, customers can create an inner CA construction inside their group.
A digital certificates associates a public key with an proprietor. The certificates verifies the proprietor’s id. A certificates can’t be cast as a result of the authority that issued the certificates digitally indicators the certificates. Certificates are issued for features similar to knowledge encryption, code signing, Net consumer and Net server authentication, and securing e-mail. The Knowledge Safety API manages certificates in Home windows XP and Home windows Server 2003. When certificates are issued to a shopper, it’s saved within the Registry and in Lively Listing. Customers may also retailer certificates on sensible playing cards. The certification sort getting used determines the knowledge included in a certificates.
Certificates Authorities (CAs) are servers which are configured to challenge certificates to customers, computer systems, and providers. CAs additionally handle certificates. A corporation can have a number of CAs, that are organized in a logical method. A CA could be a trusted third social gathering entity corresponding to VeriSign or Thawte or it may be one of many group’s inner entities. An instance of an inner CA entity is Home windows Server 2003 Certificates Providers. Home windows Server 2003 Certificates Providers can be utilized to create certificates for customers and computer systems in Lively Listing domains.
Certificates Authorities (CAs):
- Accepts the request for a certificates from a consumer, pc, software, or service.
- Authenticates the id of the consumer, pc, or service requesting the certificates. The CA makes use of its insurance policies and incorporates the kind of certificates being requested to confirm the requester’s id.
- Creates the certificates for the requester.
- Digitally indicators the certificates utilizing its personal personal key.
Home windows Certificates Providers is used to create a Certificates Authority on Home windows Server 2003 servers. The primary CA that’s put in turns into the basis CA. The widespread apply is to first set up the basis CA then use the basis CA to validate all the opposite CAs inside the group. A root CA is probably the most trusted CA in a CA hierarchy. When a root CA points certificates to different CAs, these CAs turn out to be the basis CA’s subordinate CAs. When a root CA is on-line, it’s used to problem certificates to subordinate CAs. The basis CA by no means often instantly points certificates to customers, computer systems, purposes, or providers.
A subordinate CA can even problem certificates to different subordinate CAs. These subordinate CAs are referred to as intermediate CAs. Whereas an intermediate CA is subordinate to the basis CA, it’s thought-about superior to these subordinate CAs to which it issued certificates. Subordinate CAs that solely challenge certificates to customers and to not different subordinate CAs are referred to as leaf CAs.
The kind of CAs that may be put in are:
- Enterprise root CA – That is the topmost CA within the CA hierarchy and is the primary CA put in within the enterprise. Enterprise root CAs are reliant on Lively Listing. Enterprise root CAs concern certificates to subordinate CAs.
- Enterprise Subordinate CA – This CA additionally wants Lively Listing and is used to difficulty certificates to customers and computer systems.
- Stand-alone Root CA – A stand-alone root CA is the topmost CA within the certificates chain. A stand-alone root CA isn’t, nevertheless, depending on Lively Listing and might be faraway from the community. This makes a stand-alone root CA the answer for implementing a safe offline root CA.
- Stand-alone Subordinate CA – Any such CA can also be unbiased of Lively Listing and is used to concern certificates to customers, computer systems, and different CAs.
Understanding the Configure Your Server Wizard
The Configure Your Server Wizard is likely one of the major wizards used to carry out administrative duties for Home windows Server 2003 computer systems. The Configure Your Server Wizard configures server roles. Home windows Server 2003 offers a brand new software for outlining and managing server roles, specifically, the Handle Your Server utility. The precise Wizard for making use of the server roles to computer systems is the Configure Your Server Wizard. The Configure Your Server Wizard is included with the Handle Your Server utility and can also be managed via this utility.
To entry the Handle Your Server utility and use the Configure Your Server Wizard:
- Click on Begin, Administrative Instruments, and Handle Your Server.
The Handle Your Server utility’s major display is made up as follows:
- On the prime of the Handle Your Server primary display are three buttons which are labeled as follows:
- Add or take away a task button; for initiating the Configure Your Server Wizard.
- Examine server roles button; for accessing info on server roles.
- Examine distant administration button; for accessing info on distant administration.
- The left finish of the display accommodates the server roles which might be already configured for the actual server.
- Every listed configured server position is accompanied by buttons that can be utilized to view info on the prevailing position or handle the prevailing server position. The buttons which might be displayed differ between the prevailing server roles.
The Configure Your Server Wizard may also be initiated by:
- Clicking Begin, Administrative Instruments, and Configure Your Server.
After the Configure Your Server Wizard is initiated, the next preliminary steps have to be carried out earlier than any server roles may be added:
- Set up all modems and community playing cards.
- Connect all vital cables.
- Create an Web connection if the server is for use for Web connectivity.
- Activate all peripherals.
- Have the Home windows Server 2003 set up CD at hand.
Clicking the Subsequent button on the Preliminary Steps display invokes the Configure Your Server Wizard to check community connections, confirm the working system, then show the Server Position display.
The Server Position display incorporates the next columns:
- Server position column – signifies the server roles that may be added or eliminated.
- Configured column – signifies whether or not a server position is configured or not.
To navigate to the Add or Take away Packages in Management Panel, click on the Add or Take away Packages hyperlink on the Server Position display.
Find out how to Add an Software Server Position to Home windows Server 2003
- Click on Begin, Administrative Instruments, then Handle Your Server.
- Click on the Add or take away a task button.
- The Configure Your Server Wizard initiates.
- Click on Subsequent on the Preliminary Steps web page of the wizard.
- When the Server Position web page opens, choose the Software server (IIS, ASP.NET) server position then click on Subsequent.
- The Software Server Choices web page opens.
- Choose the FrontPage Server Extensions checkbox to incorporate Net server extensions within the configuration.
- Choose the Allow ASP.NET checkbox in order that Net purposes created by way of ASP.NET may be utilized. Click on Subsequent.
- Confirm the settings chosen on the Abstract of Alternatives. Click on Subsequent.
- The set up of the elements happens subsequent.
- Click on End.
The right way to Set up the Distant Entry and VPN Server Position with the Configure Your Server Wizard
- Click on Begin, Administrative Instruments, and Handle Your Server.
- Choose the Add or take away a task choice.
- The Configure Your Server Wizard begins.
- On the Preliminary Steps web page, click on Subsequent.
- A message seems, informing the consumer that the Configure Your Server Wizard is detecting community settings and server info.
- When the Server Position web page seems, choose the Distant Entry/VPN Server choice then click on Subsequent.
- On the Abstract of Alternatives web page, click on Subsequent.
- The Welcome to the Routing and Distant Entry Server Setup Wizard web page is displayed.
Methods to Add the International Catalog Server Position on a Area Controller
- Click on Begin, Administrative Instruments, and Lively Listing Websites and Providers.
- Within the console tree, broaden Websites then increase the location that accommodates the area controller to be configured as a worldwide catalog server.
- Increase the Servers folder then find and click on the area controller to be designated as a worldwide catalog server.
- Within the particulars pane, right-click NTDS Settings and click on Properties on the shortcut menu.
- The NTDS Settings Properties dialog field opens.
- The Common tab is the place the area controller is specified as a worldwide catalog server.
- Allow the International Catalog checkbox.
- Click on OK.
The right way to Take away the International Catalog Server Position from a Area Controller
- Open the Lively Listing Websites and Providers console.
- Within the console tree, find and click on the area controller presently configured as the worldwide catalog server.
- Proper-click NTDS Settings and click on Properties on the shortcut menu to open the NTDS Settings Properties dialog field.
- Clear the International Catalog checkbox.
- Click on OK.
How you can Set up the DHCP Server Position
- Click on Begin, Management Panel, and Add Or Take away Packages.
- When the Add Or Take away Packages dialog field opens, click on Add/Take away Home windows Elements.
- This begins the Home windows Elements Wizard.
- Within the Elements listing field, choose Networking Providers then click on the Particulars button.
- The Networking Providers dialog field opens.
- Within the Subcomponents Of Networking Providers record field, examine the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) checkbox.
- Click on OK then Subsequent.
- When The Finishing The Home windows Elements Wizard web page is displayed, click on End.
The best way to Implement a Caching-only DNS Server
- Open Management Panel.
- Double-click Add/Take away Packages then click on Add/Take away Home windows Elements.
- The Home windows Elements Wizard begins.
- Click on Networking Providers then Particulars.
- Within the Networking Providers dialog field, choose the checkbox for Area Identify System (DNS) within the record. Click on OK and Subsequent.
- When The Finishing The Home windows Elements Wizard web page is displayed, click on End.
- Don’t add or configure any zones for the DNS server. The DNS Server service features as a caching-only DNS server by default. This principally means no configuration is important to arrange a caching-only DNS server.
- Confirm that the server root hints are configured appropriately.
Tips on how to Add the Terminal Providers Server Position to Home windows Server 2003 with Add Or Take away Packages in Management Panel
- Click on Begin, Management Panel, then Add Or Take away Packages.
- Click on Add/Take away Home windows Elements to provoke the Home windows Elements Wizard.
- Choose the Terminal Server checkbox. Click on Subsequent.
- When the Terminal Server Setup web page is displayed, learn the message on Terminal Server Licensing and Terminal Server mode. Click on Subsequent.
- Choose the suitable safety setting. Click on Subsequent.
- After the required information are copied, click on End.
- When the System Settings Change web page is displayed, click on Sure to reboot the pc.
- Terminal Providers Configuration, Terminal Providers Supervisor, and Terminal Server Licensing are added to the Administrative Instruments menu.
The way to Set up IIS 6.zero with the Configure Your Server Wizard
- Click on Begin, Administrative Instruments, then Handle Your Server.
- Within the Handle Your Server essential display, click on Add or take away a task.
- The Configure Your Server Wizard begins.
- The Preliminary Steps display is a warning display that prompts the consumer to confirm that the necessities for the set up have been met. Click on Subsequent.
- The community connections configured on the machine are examined and verified earlier than the Wizard shows the subsequent display.
- On the Configuration Choices display, select one of many following choices:
- Typical configuration for a primary server – select this feature to put in the server as a website controller and to put in the Lively Listing listing service, DNS service, and DHCP service.
- Customized Configuration – This feature ought to be chosen to put in IIS 6 on the server. Click on Subsequent.
- On the Server Position display, select Software Server (IIS, ASP.NET) as the specified position to be put in on the server. From this display, one may additionally choose to put in Terminal, Print, DNS, and DHCP providers. Choose the Software Server (IIS, ASP.NET) choice, installs IIS, ASP.NET, and extra elements in order that the server can host web sites and FTP websites. Click on Subsequent.
- On the Software Server Choices display, one might choose that these elective elements be put in:
- FrontPage Server Extensions – for customers to develop and publish Net content material on the IIS machine by way of Microsoft FrontPage or Microsoft Visible Studio.
- Microsoft Knowledge Engine – for internet hosting SQL databases on the IIS machine.
- Allow ASP.NET – This feature is enabled by default. ASP.NET is the scripting framework that runs IIS purposes. Click on Subsequent.
- The Abstract of Choices display shows a abstract of the elements chosen for set up. Confirm that the right gadgets are listed on this display. The Allow COM+ for distant transactions choice is routinely added. Click on Subsequent.
- The set up course of now commences. Both insert the Home windows Server 2003 CD or point out the set up information’ location. The Software Choices display is displayed, the Configuration Elements window seems, and the required information are copied.