A mixed built-in amplifier/DAC from Audiolab units a brand new commonplace at its worth, says Jon Myles.
Audiolab has cast an spectacular status for its vary of M-DAC digital to analogue convertors in recent times. A lot in order that a few of its different merchandise have flown a bit of beneath the radar.
However the brand new 6000A is designed to vary that. It’s a stereo amplifier with a claimed energy output of 50 Watts per channel (see Measured Efficiency for full particulars).
Additionally it is slim and trim – measuring 6.5cm x 44.5cm x 30cm (H/W/D). However there’s extra to it than that. The 6000A additionally options digital inputs (two optical, two co-axial) trickled down from the M-DAC vary with an ESS Sabre DAC on the core. There’s additionally a pair of shifting magnet phono inputs plus three line-level analogue inputs. Add in Bluetooth functionality and I couldn’t assist however be impressed with this amplifier’s vary of options.
Additionally, in case you are utilizing the digital inputs there are three digital filters (sluggish roll-off, quick roll-off and minimal part). Personally, I most popular the sluggish roll-off which appeared barely extra detailed however it’s value experimenting with all three to seek out which works greatest together with your partnering gear and personal tastes. Design-wise it’s typical Audiolab
- nothing too flashy or excessive however a minimalist fashion the place type follows perform. Three rotary controls on the entrance help you management mode, enter and quantity
- which may all be replicated by way of the provided distant management – whereas
a slim LED display brings up primary info resembling which enter is getting used.
It’s well-constructed with an aluminium entrance panel and durable metallic casework behind. In all it seems to be costlier than its price ticket.
Connecting the 6000A to a pair of standmount Spendor Als and enjoying CDs it was clear to me simply how assured this amplifier sounds. Neil Younger’s ‘After The Goldrush’ noticed his vocals pushed properly to the fore with a stunning sense of presence. Nevertheless, beneath that the backing drums and guitars have been excellently laid out – giving the entire album a way of vibrancy. Edges of notes have been crisp whereas bass was taut and tight with out being overblown. There was an natural, flowing nature to the sound that not all amplifiers at this worth can handle.
Switching to excessive decision by way of an Astell&Kern participant the Audiolab had the power to convey out the additional info available. For instance, the piano notes on Keith Jarrett’s reside ‘Paris/London Testomony’ (24/96) felt reasonable and the main edges have been fantastically rendered. Higher nonetheless, the decay within the notes gave an environment to his enjoying.
Contained in the Audiolab there’s a Class A/B energy amplifier with linear energy provide and an ESS Sabre DAC – plus Bluetooth connectivity.
It was comparable with Robert Wyatt’s model of Elvis Costello’s basic ‘Shipbuilding’ the place his plaintive, high-pitched vocals have been excellently relayed and the piano backing had timbre and physique.
However whereas the Audiolab does delicacy nicely it’s also capable of deal with extra upbeat tracks with aplomb. Loading up The Jesus And
Mary Chain’s ‘Upside Down’ there was super propulsive thrust on supply. Tempo was snappy, instrumentation clear and there was no pause for breath because the monitor charged alongside.
All this was greater than sufficient for me to attempt a slice of Led Zeppelin with ‘Immigrant Track’. Once more I might hear each single factor of the monitor – John Bonham’s drums cracked sharp, John Paul Jones’s bass line was distinct however not too intrusive whereas
The rear consists of each digital and analogue inputs in addition to an antenna for Bluetooth reception.
Jimmy Web page’s staccato guitar riff overlaid every thing splendidly.
I might simply lay again and luxuriate in – which is what I did.
In some ways the presentation jogged my memory of the Naim Nait5si – an amplifier that prices virtually twice that of the Audiolab. The Naim in all probability has a bit of extra punch however when it comes to general element there’s little to decide on between the 2.
Turning to Bluetooth there was an apparent drop
“Loading up The Jesus And Mary Chain’s ‘Upside Down’ there’s a large propulsive thrust on supply”
in sound high quality, some tracks dropping their definition and depth. That stated, Bluetooth is extra about comfort than absolute hi-fi high quality and it’s a good function to have. Moreover the 6000A paired instantly with my iPhone and by no means as soon as misplaced the connection.
However to get one of the best out of this Audiolab I’d advise utilizing it for its main function – as the guts of a superb hi-fi set-up. Merely pay attention and luxuriate in.
As amplifiers go you’ll be arduous pressed to beat this Audiolab for its versatility – however most significantly its sound high quality. It has delicacy however may even pump out arduous rocking beats when wanted. Digital connectivity and a worth of simply £ make it an amazing discount.
Energy from the Audiolab 6000A measured 50 Watts into eight Ohms and 86 Watts into four Ohms, sufficient for very excessive quantity. The facility provide has good regulation and a excessive for agency, punchy bass.
Frequency response was flat from a low 1 Hz as much as 100kHz and distortion very low at Zero.003% from low ranges (circa 1 Watt) all the best way as much as full energy, into each four Ohm and eight Ohm masses. The crucial 1W/four 0hm/10kHz determine, a measure of crossover distortion, was additionally low at Zero.01% – as our distortion evaluation exhibits.
The Phono stage wanted 1.3mV for full output, the place 5mV is widespread. This makes it appropriate for top output shifting coils (MC) in addition to shifting magnets (MM). Enter overload was excessive at 50mV. Equal enter noise (e.i.n.), a real measure of noise you hear at any quantity setting, was a really low 1 muy V – quiet sufficient for shifting coil cartridges. Frequency response measured flat right down to 20Hz (-1 dB) a warp filter rolling off achieve to -7dB at 5Hz to reduce loudspeaker cone flap. An impressively good phono stage – higher than most.
The S/PDIF inputs (elec. & choose) each accepted 192kHz pattern fee PCM, frequency response measuring flat to 40kHz (-1 dB) earlier than roll off to the higher theoretical restrict of 96kHz.
Distortion from 24/96 hi-res PCM measured a mediocre Zero.08% from each preamp out and loudspeaker out. EIAJ Dynamic Vary was on the low aspect at 113dB (pre out and Is out) with 24bit the place 115dB or higher is now widespread. With CD that is inconsequential, on account of 16bit quantisation noise, however with ‘quieter’ 24bit it’s not so good. Bluetooth measured 99dB EIAJ dynamic vary as is widespread and flat frequency response to 20kHz, so labored very nicely.
The Audiolab 6000A measured nicely in all areas besides its digital enter. Right here it’s fantastic for CD however not for prime hi-res outcomes.
Frequency response (-1 dB) 1 Hz-50kHz Distortion (10kHz, 1W) Zero.01%
Separation (1kHz) 96dB
Noise (IEC A) -98dB
Frequency response (-1dB) 5Hz-40kHz Distortion (-60dB, 24bit) Zero.08%
Dynamic vary (EIAJ) 113dB
Frequency response (-1dB) 5Hz-20kHz
Distortion (1kHz, 5mV in) Zero.06% Separation (1kHz) 67dB
Noise (IEC A) -69dB
DISTORTION AUDIOLAB 6000A
OUTSTANDING – amongst one of the best.
VALUE – keenly priced.
10 Complete Rating
An outstanding performer – probably the greatest amplifiers you should purchase at this worth.
- rhythmic capability
The place to purchase?
Audiolab 6000A 100-watt Stereo Built-in Amp/Bluetooth DAC – Black
Achieve (max.) +8dB (Line) +55dB (Phono MM) Enter Sensitivity 720mV (Line, Quantity = 0dB) three.1mV (Phono MM, Quantity=0dB) Enter Impedance 10Okay (Line) 47Okay//100pF (Phono MM) Complete Harmonic Distortion (THD) 110dB (Line, A-weighted) >76dB (Phono MM, A-weighted) DAC D to A converter ES9018K2M Complete Harmonic Distortion (THD) 112dB (A-weighted) Digital Filters Quick Roll-off , Sluggish Roll-off , Minimal Part Energy Amplifier Part Achieve +29dB Rated Max. Energy Output 2 X 50W (eight ohm, THD<1%) 2 X 75W (four ohm, THD<1%) Frequency Response 20Hz-20kHz (+/-Zero.3dB) Enter Sensitivity 720mV Complete Harmonic Distortion (THD) 110dB (A-weighted) Max. Output Present 9A Headphone Amplifier Complete Harmonic Distortion (THD) < Zero.01% (1kHz, 50mW) Output Impedance 2.35 ohm Load impedance 20-600 ohm Basic Standby Energy Consumption <Zero.5W Energy Necessities 115V ~ 50 – 60Hz 100V ~ 50 – 60Hz Dimensions (mm) (W x H x D) 445 x 65.5 x 300 Carton Measurement (mm) (W x H x D) 512 x 467 x 146 Weight 7.8kg (Internet)
Often ships in 1-2 enterprise days
Final replace was on: 2019-01-04 5:49 pm
- An amplifier stays the beating coronary heart of any high-performance audio system, however in 2018 a very versatile built-in amp must cowl many bases – digital and analogue sources, wi-fi connectivity for moveable units, a phono stage to cater for vinyl playback, amplification for headphones in addition to audio system… That is quite a bit to pack in, while holding efficiency excessive and the worth tag reasonably priced – and but, that is precisely what the 6000A delivers.
- Outwardly, the 6000A bears robust resemblance to the 8300A with its rotary controls and enormous, central OLED show. In contrast to its costlier, analogue-only sibling, it incorporates high-quality D/A conversion, enabling digital sources to be related instantly with out an exterior DAC. It provides 4 digital inputs, three line-level analogue inputs, an enter for a turntable, wi-fi connectivity by way of Bluetooth and a devoted headphone amp, along with its capacity when driving loudspeakers.
- A lot effort has been made to make sure the 6000A’s digital circuitry delivers the extent of high quality one may anticipate of a high-performance standalone DAC. As ever, Audiolab has turned to the ES9018 Sabre32 Reference chip household to carry out D/A conversion, utilising ESS Know-how’s 32-bit HyperStream structure and Time Area Jitter Eliminator to ship ultra-low noise and excessive dynamic vary.
- The 6000A’s discrete Class AB energy amp stage delivers 50W per channel into eight ohms, with a most present supply of 9 Amps into troublesome masses. The output stage of the discrete energy amp circuits makes use of a CFB (Complementary Suggestions) topology, making certain superior linearity and wonderful thermal stability, because the idle present is stored unbiased of the temperature of the output transistors.
- In recognition of the current vinyl revival, Audiolab has included a phono stage for shifting magnet phono cartridges – a high-quality, low-noise, JFET-based circuit with exact RIAA equalisation. Equally, an growing variety of individuals are utilizing headphones for music listening, so Audiolab has included a devoted headphone amp with current-feedback circuitry.
- Audiolab 6000A Built-in Amplifier with 50 watts per channel
- Top quality ES9018 Sabre 32-bit DAC for digital processing
- Class AB amplification with complementary suggestions topology
- Unbiased energy provides hold low-noise and sign purity
- Shifting Magnet phono stage incorporating JFET circuits
+44 (Zero) 1480 447700 www.audiolab.co.uk